Melissa R. McAllister is a graduate of Mercer University, with a B.A. in History and Political Science. She went on to earn her J.D. from Mercer University School of Law in 1998, and was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia in 1998.
After receiving her law degree, Melissa worked for a litigation firm in Macon, Georgia. From there, she began her work with a Columbus, Georgia firm focusing in business and estate planning and litigation.
Melissa's practice areas include:
· Business Law · Elder Law
· Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning
· Probate and Estates
· Guardianship and Conservatorship
Melissa represents individuals and existing and start up businesses in choice of entity, and represents clients in buying and selling of a business, trademark and servicemark filings, reviews and negotiates contracts and leases for business clients, drafts employment agreements and policy manuals, handles matters involving tax controversies, intellectual property, disputes among owners, insurance and contract claims, and employee matters. Melissa also drafts wills and trusts for clients with a focus on planning for retirement assets, special needs and business succession.
Melissa's professional memberships include the State Bar of Georgia (member, Business Law, Taxation, and Intellectual Property Sections), Columbus Bar Association, The American Bar Association (member, Real Property and Business Law Sections), Columbus Inns of Court, the Columbus Estate Planning Council, and the Georgia Association for Women Lawyers, where she served on the Board for a number of years.
Melissa serves as a referral source with The Area Agency of Aging, and has previously received her accreditation with the Department of Veteran's Affairs. In addition to her professional memberships, Melissa has volunteered with the Ronald McDonald House, served as a member of the Judicial Citizens Review Panel, and is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Oglethorpe Chapter. Melissa also currently serves on the Board of the Autism Hope Center, Inc.
Melissa has lectured at seminars on the topic of asset protection, and speaks at local events on topics involving her practice areas.
Our attorneys have nearly forty years collective experience practicing law, with an emphasis on creating and building long-term relationships with their clients. Our attorneys practice in the areas of Business Planning, Elder Law, Special Needs Planning, Wills and Estate Planning, Probate and Estates, Trademarks and Servicemarks, Guardianship and Conservatorship, Tax Controversies, Creditor Bankruptcy, Collection.
Our firm focuses on assisting small business owners beginning with the inception of the business and throughout the business cycle. We represent developers, doctors, builders, restaurant owners, dentists, accountants, landscape companies, clothing boutiques, electricians, financial planners and nearly every nature of small business owner. Our attorneys:
· Advise on choice of business entity.
· Draft internal agreements between the owners of the business, such as operating agreements, partnership agreements, and buy-sell agreements.
· Draft employment documents, such as non-compete agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-disclosure agreements, independent contractor agreements and termination agreements.
· Negotiate contracts with vendors, landlords and customers.
· Advise on all aspects of the purchase and sale of a business, including confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, due diligence, asset and stock purchase agreements, non-compete, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements, financing documents, lien filings.
· Assist with all aspects of business disputes, such as redemption agreements and litigation, insurance claims, employee matters.
· Advise on business succession planning in order to address generational transfers with a view toward minimizing tax consequences and meeting the client’s individual planning requirements.
· Protect intellectual business assets by filing service and/or trademarks at the federal and state level.
Our firm also assists commercial banks and small lending institutions regarding various loan and other debt collection and directly participates in the collection and/or workout process through contact with borrowers and/or their attorneys or agents. Our attorneys:
· Advise clients on the collection rights and remedies on a case by case basis.
· Draft collection letters and other correspondence regarding the collection process including but not limited to cure letters and demand letters.
· Draft and deliver foreclosure notices of sale to the appropriate county legal organs pertaining to the foreclosure and liquidation of properties.
· Participate in the bankruptcy process for borrowers who have sought relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code.
· File and prosecute adversary proceedings, objections to confirmations and other available remedies provided under the Bankruptcy Code on a case by case basis.
· Commence and continue litigation, both commercial and consumer, on behalf of clients including but not limited to filing pleading, motions and conducting discovery regarding the present borrower and his/her obligations to the client.
H. Owen Lee graduated from Columbus College in 1984 with an M.B.A. He went on to earn his J. D. in 1994 from Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law.
After receiving his law degree, Mr. Lee was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia, Alabama State Bar and Columbus Bar Association. Mr. Lee is currently a partner in the Columbus Georgia law firm of Lee & McAllister, P.C.
Mr. Lee’s practice areas include:
· Commercial Law
· Banking Law Creditors Rights
· Commercial Transactions
· Bank Foreclosures
Mr. Lee presently assists commercial banks and small lending institutions regarding various loan and other debt collection and directly participates in the collection and/or workout process through contact with borrowers and/or their attorneys or agents.
We are happy to assist with consultations in person or over the phone, at your convenience.
No. 8 W. 11th Street, Suite 200, Columbus, GA 31901
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday: By appointment